Yes, these aren't at all nasty questions in & of themselves.
Yes, amongst ourselves we Parents of Twos sometimes talk of little else.
Nevertheless, unless you want an earful or my patented Icy Glare of Judgment - or worse, the earful/ICJ combo - best to tread carefully around the following sensitive subjects unless Parent of Two asks you for advice or you're in the toddler trenches too:
(Mildly Relevant Sidebar: I'm using "he" here for sake of simplicity and also because I'm parent to a "he"-type, though of course this includes girls too. "I'm Every Woman" and all that, etc.)
- Isn't he potty trained yet?
- Oh, I see he isn't talking much yet - shouldn't he be doing that soon?
- Oh, I see he isn't talking Spanish / Mandarin / etc. yet - shouldn't he be doing that soon?
- You know what worked for me when my kids threw embarrassing public tantrums . . .
- (If he's still sleeping in his crib) Is he still sleeping in his crib? Huh.
- (If he's not still sleeping in his crib) Why isn't he still sleeping in his crib?
- You know what worked for me when my kids wouldn't eat anything . . .
- Has he been admitted to Harvard Nursery School for Unusually Gifted Toddlers yet?
|For the record: (1) not even a little potty trained; (2) talking, mostly about trucks; (3) crib; (4) happy. The end.|
Have I missed anything here, Parents of Twos? What's the best/worst thing you've been asked?