And then there are the dark corners of one's conversational arsenal, your modern version of the "Star Trek" convention fangirl who knows that she needs to keep her fluency in Klingon or, by means of completely random example, the emo teenage vampire series in social check. My thesis is that we all have such a Nerd List in our minds, an inner cat lady striving to get out and talk to someone, anyone, about our secret interests, but we are hiding in shame for fear (admittedly just) of being detected. We know that should we broach the subject with the average person, her eyes will glaze over in that Algebra class, "God, why am I still here?" way as she plots her escape.
Today I encourage you to liberate your inner Nerd & share your List in the comfort of the comments here. Against my better judgment, better judgment never having been one of my strong suits, I'll start us off by bringing you my current working list. Should you see me at a party discussing any of the following, run in the opposite direction:
- My hatred of Nicholas Cage in any film & belief that he single-handedly ruins the same;
- The John Hughes movie canon;
- Books, particularly uppity English ones from about 1800 onwards;
- Horses & my wish to get back into riding one day;
- My desire to move here for six months and loll around drinking in wine and scenery.
There, that's as close to that dreaded Facebook "25 Things You Never Wanted to Know About Me Ever Ever Ever But I'm Going to Force Upon You Anyways" as I'll get.
Now that I've embarrassed myself, what do you know too much about? Your turn, Cat Ladies!